August 3, 2012
August 3, 2012
- Editor's Note
- Olympics: Staying Connected
- Edible Cooke Dough
- Zucchini Lasagne
- Make Your Own Olympic T-Shirt
- Be Part of the Macaroni Kid Team
- This Week's Picks
- This Week's Calendar
- Teen Scene
- Plan Ahead
- Find lessons, tutors, schools, and more
- Free Summer Movies 2012
- Healthy Kid Snack Fruit Sparklers
- July 4th Kids Craft Patriotic Rocket
- Kids Eat Free and Cheap
- Favorite Birthday Party Locations
- Blue Star Museums Nearby: Free to Active Duty
- Pick Your Own Blueberries and other Fruit
- Free Outdoor Summer Concerts 2012
- Sunscreen Tips and Facts
- How to Take your Kids Camping
- Local Connecticut Farmers' Markets and Farm Stands
- Fruit Flower Snack
- Science Fun Summer Craft: Marshmallow Shooter
- Dial up the Sun
- Kids' Summer Reading Programs for 2012
- Your Users Guide to Macaroni Kid
- Kid Summer Craft & Water Play: Summer Sponge Bomb
- Kids Bowl Free All Summer
- Homemade Finger Paints
- Kid Summer Craft: Make Your own Moon Dough
- Kid's Healthy Summer Recipe: Stoplight Frozen Pops
- Make Your Own Bubbles
- Homemade Sidewalk Chalk
By: Anna Hall, Hickory NC Publisher Mom
With most gardens overflowing with zucchini this time of the year, now is the perfect time to make this light but filling dish.
Makes 6-8 servings.
- 3 medium zucchini
- 32 oz jar of your favorite pasta sauce
- 1 lb ground beef, turkey or chicken
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 egg
- 1 (15-oz) container ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- 8 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
- 8 oz shredded parmesan cheese
- optional: 8 oz sliced mushrooms, 1 cup fresh spinach or frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- Slice zucchini lengthwise into 1/8” thick slices.
- Sprinkle zucchini slices lightly with salt and set aside to drain in a colander. The moisture from the vegetable will bead up on top after 10-20 minutes, at which time you can wipe with paper towels to dry.
- On a grill or in the broiler, grill zucchini slices about 2 minutes per side.
- Cook ground meat in large lightly greased skillet until no longer pink. I like to use ground turkey or chicken for this recipe instead of beef.
- Sautee sliced mushrooms if using.
- Combine mozzarella and parmesan cheeses.
- Beat egg lightly in a medium bowl. Mix in ricotta, parsley (if using) and ¼ cup mozzarella/parmesan cheese mix. Stir well.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Put some pasta sauce to cover bottom of a 9x12 casserole dish.
- Begin assembling the lasagna by layering the grilled zucchini slices on the bottom of the pan. Top with half the ricotta mixture, then half the meat and half the mushrooms/spinach (if using). Spread some pasta sauce to cover, then sprinkle a thin layer of mozzarella/parmesan cheese mixture.
- Repeat layer as in step 10.
- Last layer should be zucchini slices covered with pasta sauce and mozzarella/parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes.
- Uncover and cook an additional 15 minutes.
- Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Have your say
© 2013 Macaroni Kid, LLC