Stuffing is the star of Thanksgiving as far as we're concerned. It's amazing how many different ways you can prepare stuffing and how it can be sweet or savory ...
Here are three stuffing recipes, tried-and-true in Macaroni KID publisher kitchens. Make one, two, or all three this Thanksgiving — no matter what, there likely won't be any leftovers.
Grand Marnier Stuffing
I feel so lucky that my mom, Winnie, is the one who makes the stuffing every Thanksgiving. She makes it ahead of time and the house just smells so delicious. We are not allowed to eat it before the big turkey day. But who you kiddin’? We are all elbow-deep in that deliciousness when she’s not looking. Thus the reason she always doubles the recipe! — Erika Veduccio
- 2 cups Grand Marnier
- 1 large orange
- 1 cup butter
- 1.5 pounds ground pork sausage
- 2 pounds herb stuffing mix (or save your sliced bread and freeze it!)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups celery finely chopped
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Place the orange and 1 cup of the Grand Marnier in a small saucepan. Heat to boiling. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Melt 1/2 cup butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the celery and onion and saute for 10 minutes. Add the sausage, and break it up as it cooks. Cook the onion, celery, and sausage until the sausage is browned.
- Add the stuffing mix to the orange with the liquid. Stir to combine.
- Heat the remaining 1/2 cup butter and chicken stock just until the butter melts. Pour over the stuffing mixture and add the remaining 1 cup of Grand Marnier. Stir well to moisten the stuffing, adding the thyme, oregano, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Bake stuffing in a large buttered casserole at 325 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
- Use the stuffing to stuff your turkey. You should have enough left over for a small side dish.
MSPhotographic via Canva
Crispy Apple, Cranberry and Walnut Stuffing
My kiddos LOVE crispy baked stuffing, so we took one of their favorite sides and added a few festive fall ingredients. Feel free to add all three ingredients to your recipe or just one or two. It is even tasty with the simple addition of tart apples! This recipe can also be made in muffin tins for individual-size "stuffing muffins." — Heather Wirtz
- 4 cups prepared stuffing/dressing (your favorite recipe or store-bought)
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and diced small
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix well using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon.
- Spoon evenly into a lightly greased baking pan.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until crispy.
- Carefully remove from oven and serve immediately.
mphillips007 via Canva
Sausage and Wild Rice Thanksgiving Stuffing
I'll let you in on a little family secret…our stuffing recipe is “semi-homemade,” simple (only 3 ingredients!), and is simply delicious. This is a tasty recipe that is a perfect addition to your own Thanksgiving table, reheats beautifully if you’re bringing it potluck style to another family member’s home, and it’s also a good side dish to add to your regular winter weeknight meals! If you choose, you can add celery or apples to this versatile stuffing. — Elisa Rispoli
- 2 boxes or 1 full bag of your favorite store bought stuffing mix (we like the cornbread one in the large bag)
- 2 cups of cooked wild rice mix (in a pinch, you can even use the prepared bag that can be microwaved for 90 seconds)
- 1 lb. of good Italian sausage (we purchase ours from our local butcher, but taking the sausage meat out of links will work too!), cooked and crumbled
- 2 tbsp. olive oil, for cooking sausage
- Cook the wild rice according to directions and until tender. Wild rice usually takes about 30-45 minutes to cook, so start this before the rest!
- Cook stuffing according to directions on the packaging.
- Meanwhile, cook the sausage in a large frying pan in olive oil.
- When all is cooked, combine gently and fold in all ingredients evenly.
- Serve warm and enjoy!